Friday, April 16, 2010

How Comedy Informs Us

In America there is a 4-times a week comedy progam (programme) called The Daily Show. In one survey it was found to be the top news source for 18-30 year olds. Many people decried the survey as trash (rubbish) or even worzse found the survey to be troubling. But I believe it is much easier to find the heart of a story through sarcasm than any other journalism device. That is why i am going to inform you that I find a great deal of my information on British Politics from watching episodes of "Have I Got News for You". I find I can find what is important to Britons much quicker this way than reading the BBC website for a month. Every civilization needs humor (humour) to survive, the great ones can also use it to inform.

2 comments:

  1. Personally I use the daily mash for all my news, but your point is good. www.thedailymash.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're quite right, of course - and thanks for the blog, btw. An advantage you have as a - more or less! - friendly foreign observer is that you can perceive the unspoken assumptions upon which our society rests; and vice-versa.of course!
    As for your point, comedy/satire is probably the best way of coming to an understanding of other country's institutions etc.

    ReplyDelete